[music-dsp] C# Interpolation Code

Christopher Weare chriswea at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 28 20:20:32 EST 2004

I do a lot of numerical work in C# at work and have not seen a factor of
10 deficit in performance.  I deal mostly with large scale analysis of
text documents and have implemented several Machine Learning techniques
in C# and C++ (and TSQL too but please don't tell anyone.)

C++ is definitely faster but often only by 15% to 20% for large and
complex applications.  There are times when the difference is more
extreme but this tends to be the exception, not the rule.

I can imagine that it would take some work to get a large FFT to run
efficiently in C# but I have never attempted it so I am only boldly
speculating.  However, for functions like FFT or convolution with large
kernels it is a straight forward process to link to unmanaged code when
you need the performance.

If you are required to dev in C# then I suggest you code as much of the
app as you can in C# and link to unmanaged code only in the few places
it makes sense.

-chris