[music-dsp] ASIO and other audio drivers - using full duplex?

gogins at pipeline.com gogins at pipeline.com
Fri Jun 18 14:21:29 EDT 2004

You should ALWAYS use code you haven't written, IF it does what you need.
Then (believe you me!...) you'll have at least a little time to work on
your real stuff.

You should always investigate all the alternative libraries you can. There
are dozens for GUI toolkits. I switched to FLTK after trying wxWidgets
because of the bloat, but there are many alternatives.

Between PortAudio and "native" or "vendor" drivers, there should be only a
very slight performance advantage and then ONLY if the other drivers use
SIMD or lots of hand-tuned assembler or something like that. I do not think
anyone could make anything significantly faster in C or C++.

Even if there was an advantage, I do not think it would be critical.