[music-dsp] modelling analog drift?

David Lowenfels dfl at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 8 15:07:15 EDT 2004

Hello:
   I'm thinking about how to model analog drift in a synthesizer, and am
curious to hear what other people think might be important starting
points. I hope it's not too off-topic. Am I correct to assume that
analog instability is primarily from thermal fluctuations? Do you think
a random sample & glide LFO would be satisfactory? I don't have any
hardware that has this "feature", emulated or not, so I thought I'd see
what you all would have to say about it.

 From the Alesis Ion manual:
	"An analog synthesizer is a comparatively unstable device. Its
components tend to be imprecise, never producing a truly constant
value. Synthesizer enthusiasts call this tendency "drift," and it is
often cited as a major part  of the difference between the "warm" sound
of analog synths and the "cold" sound of digital synths. The Ion can
model the "drifting" behavior of analog synths as well. An Analog Drift
setting of on will cause the frequencies for each of the oscillators
and filters per voice to "drift" according to a special algorithm we
developed. To make the Ion sound even more realistic, they each drift
independently. Try it; it’s a subtle but very pleasing and effective
feature."

 From an Ion user forum:
	"it should be noted that there is a parameter called analog drift that
seems to affect pitch and filter settings most obviously and likely has
some subtle effect on osc waveshapes and envelopes as well.. it does a
very good job of livening things up and is variable from zero to one
hundred percent, although turning it all the way up makes the synth
completely unstable."

-David