[music-dsp] Envelope Detection and Hilbert Transform

James Chandler Jr jchandjr at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 24 11:39:05 EDT 2004

Thanks for the explanation, Angelo

Here is a dummie followup question--

Your explanation well-explains the Hilbert advantage for finding the exact time
of an envelope peak. However, if writing a dynamics plugin, a common aspiration
is to minimize the envelope ripple (for any given release time constant).

Envelope ripple in a dynamics plugin causes intermodulation distortion. One
might adopt a holy grail quest to write a compressor which responds very quickly
to amplitude, but also has very low intermodulation distortion.

Many music tracks do not have well-behaved low-crest-factor signals.

Perhaps a good 'nightmare' envelope test signal, would be a triangle-modulated 1
percent duty-cycle pulse wave.

I understand how a Hilbert envelope detector would help avoid ripple on 'well
behaved' signals. But if the object is to minimize envelope ripple regardless of
wave shape, would a Hilbert envelope detector be smart enough to smooth out
'nightmare signals'? Perhaps one would also require post-Hilbert lowpass
filtering? Dunno.

Admittedly this is a rather vague question, but if you have any thoughts on the
issue, it will be appreciated.

Thanks

JCJR