[music-dsp] Tweakable filters of higher orders?

Koen Tanghe koen at smartelectronix.com
Wed Sep 29 15:35:46 EDT 2004

On Wednesday, September 29, 2004 8:44 AM [GMT+1=CET],
Joshua Scholar <xxxjoshscholar at yahoo.comxxx> wrote:

> I'm no expert in this, but it's my impression that you can do much better
> than cascading identical lower order filters.  Instead make an optimum
> high order filter and then factor it into lower order filters...  I
> believe the math is that this is always possible.

Sure, you can factor any filter out in lower order polynomials, but as Nigel
already pointed out in another mail, what I asked was: "how do you people
usually implement steep higher order filters *that are at the same time
tweakable* in both cutoff/center frequency and bandwidth/Q". Note the word
"tweakable", by which I meant: you can change these two parameters
(knobs/sliders/whatever...) in real-time to change the filters' properties.
It's not about a single fixed design which you can do with the Matlab tools
for example.

Koen