[music-dsp] How? to make a filter through specific responsepoints [was On magic filter generators...]

Joshua Scholar joshscholar at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 22:56:05 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik de Castro Lopo" <erikd-music-dsp at mega-nerd.com>
To: "music-dsp" <music-dsp at shoko.calarts.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2005 4:40 PM
Subject: Re: [music-dsp] How? to make a filter through specific
responsepoints [was On magic filter generators...]

> You want to specify the frequency response and find the
> filter coeficients from that. Your best bet is the Greg
> Berchin method I posted a link to earlier :

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.dsp/msg/2c307e8e77fb5178?dmode=source

Hold on, I think this method assumes that you're specifying the phase as
well.  Maybe that's why it wasn't giving you such good filters, because you
couldn't optimize the phase at the control points.

I have no idea how to directly specify the phase to make a minimum phase
filter!  Do you know how you would do this?

It's a shame because when I looked at it the problem was starting to look so
simple ... then I realized it wasn't solving for phase.

Joshua Scholar