[music-dsp] 32 bit floats >>> 24 bit integer

robert r_obert at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 17:09:53 EST 2006

I disagree.  Clearly the type of truncation that goes from something like
5.9 to 5.0 is going to produce a statistically larger magnitude of error
over time then rounding from 5.9 to 6.0.  Anytime the truncation exceeds
0.5, it is worse.  Plus it's always biased in one direction.

( Or at least this is how I see it ).

> You'll find that in practice, people use whichever gets them
> the conversion the fastest. (If dither first, you still have

I pretty much always use rounding.  Yes, truncation will be a small amount
quicker than rounding.  But if the small amount of extra time spent rounding
dooms you, you're in sorry shape anyhow ( in terms of CPU utilitzation ).

Regards,

Robert