[music-dsp] PICs for DSP and DSP stompboxes?

Farsheed tfarsheed at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 03:24:33 EST 2006

Hello,

I am looking to create a guitar effects pedal stompbox
but would like to have DSP guts inside.  I feel like a
PIC would be easiest and cheapest solution, but are
they fast enough and robust enough to handle DSP
computations?

If anybody has any resources on D.I.Y. digital
hardware manufacturing, it would be much appreciated.
I'm not really looking for a DSP development kit like
a T.I. Code Composer setup, but rather something I can
put in a stompbox and will just work standalone.

Thanks!
Farsheed