[music-dsp] Basic Maths Topics for Music-DSP

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Mon Oct 2 23:56:54 EDT 2006

Hi Sam

I agree with Mike and Erik that basic algebra, Linear Algebra and complex
numbers are important.

For linear algebra you could check out this online book, I think it's quite
good:
http://joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/

You can probably pick up a fair bit of fundamental stuff at mathworld:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/

And of course everyone should have at least one friend with a degree in
mathematics... ;-)

Another thing: There's always more than one way to explain something. At
least initially, you should be selective about the kind of DSP books you're
reading -- there are quite a few out there for musicians (Ken Steiglitz, F.
Richard Moore and Perry Cook come to mind as authors). Don't feel
discouraged if you can't grok a text intended for a graduate engineering
course.

Best wishes

Ross.