[music-dsp] Using a Mac to control a Moog

karly at kipshouse.org karly at kipshouse.org
Thu Sep 14 11:49:02 EDT 2006

"James Chandler Jr" <jchandjr at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> [...]

I built a few kits from PAIA in the last five years or so (still
have a couple unfinished), and found them to be good quality with
good documentation.

If you only need one channel of CV you might be able to use PWM on
firewire, USB, or serial port.  I did this in a school project, but
I was using a 6811, so I was a lot closer to the hardware.

If you send a stream of data to the serial port at max speed (115
Kbps?), then put a low pass filter on it you can get fine-grained
control of the output voltage.  You'd need an op-amp circuit to get
your output into CV range.  Once all the circuits are built you can
tune it in software.

-karl