[music-dsp] VU level -> colour?

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Wed Sep 27 07:44:39 EDT 2006

Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies..

Alistair Milne wrote:
> In addition to the other replies, something you might want to consider is
> whether you map the colour range to raw signal intensity, or to
> log(intensity) i.e. decibels.

Agreed. I've been playing with drawing antialised circles of different
sizes, and a log scale is definitely going to be helpful for this.

> In the end, it depends what you are trying to achieve by having a VU
> meter.  Are you trying to tell a user when the mix is getting too "hot",
> or are you just trying to provide eye candy.

Well eye candy is certainly part of the goal, but ideally I want to indicate
signal presence, and signal level. There will be multiple indicators for
different signals, so relative level will be just as important as peak/hot
level indication.

Bests

Ross.