[music-dsp] programming languages for real-time audio

Darren Landrum darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 19 16:51:19 EDT 2008

Michael Gogins wrote:
> Of course, like so many of these research languages, ATS code is
compiled to C code before it is compiled to machine language... so
even if you like the language you still have to have a C development
system... if you have to have a C development system anyway, why not
write somewhat faster code in C++ with an existing rich signal processing
library?

How about the fact that I really, really hate C/C++ and would rather
gouge my own eyes out than spend four years teaching myself a language I
hate when functional languages really suit the way I think and I can
ramp up on them quickly?

Okay, that's all a bit of exaggeration, but you get my point. Besides, I
have no real experience with Ocaml. Just because I got pretty good at
one functional language (Faust) doesn't mean I'd be any good at another.

Also, Ocaml has no readily available LV2 or JACK interfaces, or anything
like that. As for DSP code libraries, well, I have yet to find one of
those I want to use in any language. Ocaml can use C libraries, which
may ease construction of things like LV2 plugins, as well as allow the
use of libraries like libsamplerate, libsndfile, and libfftw3.

I guess "try it out and see" is the only real option here.

Thanks for the reply!

Regards,
Darren Landrum