[music-dsp] Name for the integrator replacement technique

Vadim Zavalishin vadim.zavalishin at native-instruments.de
Mon Jun 8 10:25:57 EDT 2009

>> I'd suggest "topology-preserving transform" or TPT. The reason
>> is that the transfer function of the resulting system is
>> exactly what it would have been if one applied an s- to
>> z-plane transform (most commonly BLT) to the analog prototype
>> transfer function, but simultaneously also the topology of the
>> system is preserved.
>
> You're assuming that the analog circuit is based on cascaded
> integrators in the first place,

Not necessarily cascaded (as I understand that term implies serial
connection), but simply somehow interconnected. I was assuming that any
real-world analog circuit is expressible using integrators, directly
corresponding to the state-space equations describing the circuit. At any
rate, the analog reactive elements (capacitors and inductors) essentially
translate as integrators in block diagrams.

> so "topology-preserving" is
> underspecific. How about "state variable preserving"?

Considering the above, the state variables should be identical to the
integrator states. Which other state variables do you have in mind?

Also "state-variable preserving" is less specific, as you can have different
block diagrams having the same state variables. The time-variant behavior
will probably be the same though, but only if there are no nonlinearities
and if we ignore the computation precision issues. So IMHO the preservation
of the state variables is a side effect, and the relation between those is
logical implication, not the equivalence:

preserved topology ==> preserved state variables

Regards,
Vadim

--
Vadim Zavalishin
Senior Software Developer | R&D

Tel +49-30-611035-0
Fax +49-30-611035-2600

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GmbH
Schlesische Str. 28
10997 Berlin, Germany
http://www.native-instruments.com

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic