[music-dsp] Name for the integrator replacement technique

george bezerianos gasmoa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:51:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Vadim
Zavalishin<vadim.zavalishin at native-instruments.de> wrote:
>> Good point, but it is a _directed_ graph and as such it is
>> homeomorphic to all directed graphs with the same discrete
>> connectivity and to exactly one un-directed graph. However,
>> different directed graphs correspond to dramatically different
>> transfer functions. So I would insist on the Signal Flow
>> to preserve directivity, unless one can suggest something better.
>
> My problem with "Signal Flow Preserving Transform" (SFPT?) is that feels a
> little bit too long, otherwise being quite on the point. However, in the
> context of LTI systems and signal processing in general, doesn't the term
> "topology of the system" have an unambiguous meaning anyway (including the
> directivity)?

Well, I myself come from a signal processing background so I have used the
term quite often in the past. However, these days I would avoid confusion
with the modern mathematical language - the worst one can get is in the
end to have a consistent language for everything mathematical.

Now, Signal Flow Diagrams is how I'm used to call these things and
it's fairly consistent with signal processing literature (I think that's
how Oppenheim/Schafer call them in their DTSP IIRC).

Yours,

George Bezerianos