[music-dsp] Article: antialiased sine waveform syncing

Vadim Zavalishin vadim.zavalishin at native-instruments.de
Tue Jun 9 06:55:30 EDT 2009

> yes, i gathered that too.  and since the BLIT is BL, any LTI  operation
> you do to it will result in an output that is likewize BL.

What's difficult for me to intuitively understand there, is that convolution
with BLIT in the discrete-time domain doesn't guarantee the "correct
bandlimitness". In fact one can consider any discrete-time signal as
"technically bandlimited", since after going through the DAC the sound will
be definitely bandlimited. What is important is whether the "technically
bandlimited" signal is identical to what we expect. E.g. an aliasing
sawtooth sound at the speaker output is still bandlimited, however it is
bandlimited in an undesired way, that's why we complain.

In this respect I personally fail to see how "correctly" the signals
produced by BLOO will be bandlimited, as it seems to me that the method
should introduce certain artifacts. Ideally I'd like to see a comparison of
an ideal continuous-time spectrum against a spectrum restored from the
discrete time signal.

Regards,
Vadim

--
Vadim Zavalishin
Senior Software Developer | R&D

Tel +49-30-611035-0
Fax +49-30-611035-2600

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GmbH
Schlesische Str. 28
10997 Berlin, Germany
http://www.native-instruments.com

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic