[music-dsp] Article: antialiased sine waveform syncing

Andy Leary andy at korgrd.com
Tue Jun 9 14:32:43 EDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 9:26 PM, robert bristow-johnson <rbj at audioimagination.com
 > wrote:
>
> i've known about BLITs and understood how they can be used to drive
> an appropriate filter to generate virtually arbitrary *and*
> bandlimited waveforms, but i have always failed to see the advantage
> over wavetable synthesis in terms of complexity or cost.

> ...... that's
> much less computation than running a BLIT through a filter which is
> why i
> sometimes question the point of it.  it's not the first time i have.

For Hard Sync, BLEP type implementations give the best sounding
results for the fewest cycles that I have found.  If you are trying to
do FM with "analog" waveforms and if you want hard sync, wavetable
isn't going to work without adding BLEPs anyway.

If all you want is a band limited sawtooth and you don't need sync,
then wavetable is fine, but simple BLEP related optimizations make
this case relatively cheap.

That being said.... there's some cool things left to do with wavetable
yet.....
:-)

Andy Leary
andy at korgrd.com