[music-dsp] What is the waveform with even harmonics called

padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Jun 18 08:42:04 EDT 2009

> Yes but as LFO or for other purpose we're talking about something else

Yes, exactly, we are talking about something else: Those cases where time
domain features are more significant to an operation than spectra.

> you  wouldn't want to generate them bandlimited in those cases. Same for FM
modulators.

Why not? There are cases where a specific shape is required AND a bandlimited
spectrum is desirable.

Perhaps it's helpful to distinguish 'bandlimited' from 'Fourier (additvely)
constructed. All additively constructed signals are bandlimited, but not
all bandlimited signals are constructed additively. There are other ways,
such as piecewise polynomial construction, that can be shown to give predictable
shapes and bandwidths. When used as a modulator, for example as AM in a fast autopanner, the absence of sharp corners avoids clicks (non-bandlimited modulation
artifacts), and the shape (say triangle) gives the desired behaviour.

As Perl programmers like to say, there's more than one way to do it. :)

a.

>> triangle isn't much interesting, sounds like a slighty saturated sine
>>

> But useful: ~very~ important as a modulation source (LFO), and where (as
> with the other waveforms) the absence of wiggles may often be valuable
> musically. Waveforms are not just to be listened to directly. As control
> signals the geometric waveforms have a key role, while all manner of
> extended exotica (smoothly-varying random waveforms, self-modulated
> waveforms etc) also matter. Sometimes, classic geometric "perfection" is
> required; at other times the absence of predictability (or simply a more
> subtle organic quality) is sought.
>
> Richard Dobson

17:55:00