[music-dsp] Blurps and Chirps when changing filter parameters

Martin Eisenberg martin.eisenberg at udo.edu
Fri May 8 14:18:31 EDT 2009

From: "Vadim Zavalishin" <vadim.zavalishin at native-instruments.de>

> However, my article is not only about delay-free loops, but
> also about the topology-preserving transformation method,
> which is based on integrator replacement.

Yes, I understand.

> In this respect it is closer to what Serafini/Zamboni paper
> I mentioned earler is doing

Hmm, their example circuit doesn't even have any modules to treat
separately, and sure enough they lump everything into a single
equation. Thus I can't see that they're concerned with topology
at all (despite use of the word in the abstract -- which franky
strikes me, equally as when I first encountered the paper, as
setting up a strawman problem).

> (again I don't know where this method was described first).

I believe that would be their ref. 4 (Borin et al. 2000) which
introduced the K-method. That also cites Harma 1998 since the
common theme of both techniques is splitting a network's linear
dynamics into the part directly connected to a troublesome
subsystem (instantaneous feedback in one case, both feedback and
nonlinearity in the other) and all the rest, and then
implementing the former part without rewiring the latter.

Martin