[music-dsp] Open Source DSP Analog Simulation Synth

Vesa Norilo vesa.norilo at saunalahti.fi
Wed May 13 04:24:22 EDT 2009

> when I started still works and produces audio. With a modern system,
> provided
> you are not trying to do something beyond the CPU power, there are no
> lost
> frames (dropouts) and there is good timing. I would not invest time
> and effort
> on a piece of hardware that will be obsolete next year. It's just not
> my thing.
> I'm very happy with the quality of what I get out of a PC.
Hi Victor,

I beg to re-differ :)

With a DSP board you can get a latency far below anything you can dream
of on a non-realtime OS.

When you take it to a gig, it does not take a minute to boot.

There are no drivers or interfaces to worry about.

It will not be obsolete, ever, as it will continue to work exactly like
it did barring a electrical/mechanical failure. Unlike PC software. Try
and see how much fun it is to run 15 year old music software today.

PCs have their place. They are great for sound design, hacking and
composition and decent enough for mixing. Playing gigs or making records
- you have to pry DSP chips from my cold, dead hands :)