[music-dsp] time representation in the frequency domain

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu May 14 07:22:41 EDT 2009

That's an interesting application.

On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:09:27 +0200
"Didier Dambrin" <didid at skynet.be> wrote:

> It's also amazing to see 2 signals that can be as high as 12dB apart in
> peaks, while they sound exactly the same because all of the phases were
> shifted by the same amount.
> I've made a little tool that "normalizes" (short bits of) audio higher than
> classic normalization, by shifting phases.
> In practice you get around 1 to 3 dB's out of most short signals. But I'm
> not sure if it really has a use.

It certainly has use, but it has a cost. By moving the phases you got the minimum
dynamic variance (and so the maximum average amplitude) but you lost the attack
transient. The kick drum seems a great example. Don't these 'super normalised'
short hits sound "duller" with less "impact" than their unprocessed sources?

My best guess for application domain is short vocal phrases.

--
Use the source