[music-dsp] DSP with JesuSonic

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Fri May 29 09:01:33 EDT 2009

For those who are starting out in DSP. You may want to check JesuSonic by
Cockos (Justin Frankel (Winamp) and company)

Its currently only available with the Reaper DAW, but I believe it is soon
to be released officially as a standalone VST effect (which then can be
loaded in any VST host).
http://www.reaper.fm/

Jesusonic:
"...JS is a scripting language which is compiled on the fly and allows you
to modify and/or generate audio and MIDI, as well as draw custom vector
based UI and analysis displays.

JS effects are simple text files, which when loaded in REAPER become full
featured plug-ins. You can try loading existing JS effects and since they
are distributed in source form, you can also edit existing effects to suit
your needs (we recommend if editing an existing effect you save it as
something with a new name--if you do not you may lose your changes when
upgrading REAPER). "

Guide:
http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/js/js.php

Tutorials by Michael Gruhn:
http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/1st_Ever_Jesusonic_Tutorial

Example code:
//-----------------------------
desc:Sine-Wave-Generator
//-----------------------------
@sample
spl0 = .125 * sin(2*$pi*440*t);
t += 1 / srate ;
spl1 = spl0 ;

Everything is double precision.
It has build in editor and realtime debugging.
You are writing everything in pseudo code, so it is very easy to port to
other languages.

Lubomir