[music-dsp] Moving beyond sin, saw, square and triangle waves

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Mon Aug 30 03:23:12 EDT 2010

Hi Alan

I'd have a look at programs like SuperCollider, PD and CSound since they
come with a wide range of building blocks and a whole lot of user-developed
synthesis examples built on top of them. Plus they have huge communities of
users all of whom could answer questions like "how do I synthesise X" -- not
that that should stop you asking here, but it will at least give you an idea
of the breadth of the common possibilities.

There are really at least two main areas you need to learn about (1) sound
synthesis and (2) software implementation of sound synthesis algorithms.
Information on (1) is much more broadly available since a lot is applicable
to analog synths, software synthes etc whereas (2) is more specific.

It's hard to point you at any one resource (aside from musicdsp.org and the
archives for this mailing list which has over 10 years of useful stuff in
it). Musicdsp lore is scattered everywhere. Particular items of interest are
scattered through the Journal of the AES, DAFX conferences, ICMC
(http://quod.lib.umich.edu/i/icmc/browse.html), Computer Music Journal, and
a few books (Chamberlain's Musical Applications of Microproecessors comes to
mind). A lot of this stuff can be found with google.

You should probably check out the DAFX book, it documents a number of the
basic techniques and should be useful for getting started. The CSound book
is not bad in terms of surveying a range of algorithms.
http://www2.hsu-hh.de/ant/dafx2002/DAFX_Book_Page/

Jon Dattoro's Effect Design papers are worth looking at:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dattorro/research.html

I notice Chameleon have a nice list of DSP links, you could do worse than
following those (under DSP research and Algorithms):
http://www.chameleon.synth.net/english/links.shtml

For drum synthesis there here are a few options that come to mind:

- Filtered noise
- Swept oscillators (eg for kick drum)
- FM synthesis (google "FM Drum Synthesis")

Which reminds, me, the Synth Secrets column in Sound On Sound is pretty good
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr02/articles/synthsecrets0402.asp
http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url=/search&Keyword="synth+secrets"&Words=All&Summary=Yes

Sorry if this is too much info....

HTH