[music-dsp] Modelling analog circuits at the component level

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Thu Jul 8 01:25:50 EDT 2010

Hi Thomas

Yes, this is being done. Both in the research community and in commercial
products such as those from UA (you can read their online blog for some
understandable discussions). There are a few people on this list who do this
kind of thing. I'm just an interested onlooker.

My impression is that usually the implementation techniques to do this stuff
in real time involve a combination of real-time simulation of differential
equations for specific components, IIR filters for "linear" elements,
combined with "sampling" of static nonlinearities using lookup tables when
this is appropriate -- these lookup tables can be renderd using off-line
circuit simulators such as Qucs (qucs.sourceforge.net).

There have been some publications evaluating real-time simulation of
components for musical use, for example:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~dtyeh/papers/yeh07_dafx_clipode.pdf

Sorry, I don't have a bibliography of this stuff handy, someone else can
probably give you some better pointers. Check out DAFX conference
proceedings for example. I notice this is out now:

Special issue on virtual analog audio effects and musical instruments in
IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech and Language Processing (published in the
May 2010 issue).

The guys at Helsinki University of Technology have published some research
in this area also.

I think achieving your dream might require a system which can automatically
evaluate the psychoacoustic effect of certain optimisations.

HTH

Ross.