[music-dsp] Is beating the same thing as flanging?

Scott Lehman guitguy69 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 12:24:26 EST 2010

To add my 2 cents:

I would refine the earlier definition of phasing and flanging to be
mixing an *allpass filtered* copy of a signal with the original
(rather than a delayed copy).  And typically a time varying filter of
course.

Phasing is the general case, and flanging is a specific type of
phasing - after all, a delay is a kind of allpass filter, even if a
degenerate case.

This view helps avoid the "is filtering delay based" issue :)

Scott