[music-dsp] ring modulation

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat Oct 16 20:12:10 EDT 2010

On Oct 16, 2010, at 6:48 PM, Alan Wolfe wrote:

> When you do ring modulation, you are just multiplying 2 sound waves
> together right?
>
> I'm trying to implement this in a synth program where my sound data is
> in the range of -1 to 1.
>
> Should both sound waves be in this range or should the modulation wave
> be in the range of 0 to 1?

i think a ring modulator is a simple bipolar multiplication.

but make sure your sampling rate is more than twice the *sum* of the
bandwidths of the two signals.  when multiplying two bandlimited
signals together, their spectrums are convolved which makes the
bandlimit of the result potentially as large as the sum of the
bandlimits of each signal.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com