[music-dsp] C++ performance

Theo Verelst theover at tiscali.nl
Thu Oct 28 19:51:01 EDT 2010

I can't help thinking that it might be more advantageous to organize C
code properly, possibly even using case tools, and to use good ol' Unix
programming to get out of the not-so-terribly-powerful additions which C
++ gives, with no good basis for parallel programming. Luckily C++ can
be mixed with C usually easily (I think the famous enough Gnu compiler
chain can link the both together, too), I'd think the old rule of the
thumb was that C gets about 70% of the speed of assembly, and I see no
reason to believe that's better for C++ or the (older) Objective C,
maybe there are object hierarchies "libraries"/"classes" which
instantiate handily into single-processor SSE2 optimized code fragments,
which is fine, but less insightful.

I'm glad C is still a major language and that for instance Risc 1000 and
(Nvidia) Cuda processors and of course most big DSPs can be programmed
in it. I don't think I really miss an OO language much for that (Which I
professionally used at university for hierarchical graphics, which was
handy).

I've found myself searching for cheap Fermi cards to do some heavy sound
processing in double precision, anyone working on that ?

 Theo Verelst
 http://www.theover.org/Cuda