[music-dsp]   Splitting audio signal into N frequency bands

Wen Xue mr.x.wen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:36:14 EDT 2011

"Filtering a signal x(t) with a LP filter H(z) then subtract the result from
x(t) itself" is equivalent to filtering x(t) with a filter 1-H(z), which is
a HP filter only if H(j2*pi*f) is close to 1 in the pass band (i.e. unit
gain and zero phase). Otherwise the result after subtraction will still
contain substantial low-frequency components. If you want to use the
subtraction method to split your signal then you need to have some idea of
how much LP leak is going into 1-H(z) so that you know what outcome to
expect.

But is there any special reason why you want to do the subtraction? If it's
perfect reconstruction you're after then quadratic mirror filters may serve
all right. They're usually not very steep but are stable and reasonably
well-behaved.