[music-dsp] stereo-wide pan law?

Scott Nordlund gsn10 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:43:03 EST 2012

> Ross Bencina wrote:
>
> In this instance I'm not really concerned with psychoacoustics. What I
> need is something that gives a sensible result under the assumption that
> I want to send some anti-phase in the opposite speaker. "Sensible" could
> be defined as "perceptually smooth", or "energy smooth".
>
> As I already said, I realise that it's a somewhat dubious idea -- I'm
> not looking for criticisms of that. I'm working on a simple extension of
> an existing effect algorithm (a somewhat well known stereo chorus) that
> uses this inverse phase business to "pan" the chorused voices -- and I
> want to limit my algorithm to that.
 I know a lot of sophisticated ideas have been suggested already, but if you just use a first order all pass filter and smoothly adjust the coefficient between -1 and 1, you can smoothly interpolate between an inverted and non inverted signal (with a 1 sample delay in the middle). If your goal is just to "do something interesting", that might get you somewhere.