[Portaudio] getting v19 on OSX

Jonathan Dobbie jdobbie@gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 10:34:01 2004

I've been trying for a while to get paV19 working on OX (I need JACK
support) and I can't seem to get anywhere anymore.  Initially it was
just a matter of telling it where libraries were and installing
different versions than the one that I want, but no I'm not sure
whether I need to mark some stuff as export or what.

./configure --with-jack --without-oss --without-alsa --without-macapi

I only want jack, so I've even been trying it without at much of the
mac stuff as it will let me.

then make
..snip..
ar: creating archive lib/libportaudio.a
a - pa_common/pa_allocation.o
a - pa_common/pa_converters.o
a - pa_common/pa_cpuload.o
a - pa_common/pa_dither.o
a - pa_common/pa_front.o
a - pa_common/pa_process.o
a - pa_common/pa_skeleton.o
a - pa_common/pa_stream.o
a - pa_common/pa_trace.o
a - pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.o
ranlib lib/libportaudio.a
gcc -framework AudioUnit -framework AudioToolbox -framework CoreAudio
-dynamiclib -o lib/libportaudio.dylib.0.0.19 pa_common/pa_allocation.o
pa_common/pa_converters.o pa_common/pa_cpuload.o pa_common/pa_dither.o
pa_common/pa_front.o pa_common/pa_process.o pa_common/pa_skeleton.o
pa_common/pa_stream.o pa_common/pa_trace.o pa_mac_core/pa_mac_core.o
ld: Undefined symbols:
_PaUtil_AllocateMemory
_PaUtil_FreeMemory
_PaUtil_GetTime
_PaUtil_InitializeClock
_paDefaultHostApiIndex
_paHostApiInitializers
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make: *** [lib/libportaudio.dylib.0.0.19] Error 1

At first I thought that it might be the OSX weirded libtool, so I
moved it and linked to glibtool, but that just made things worse.

with macapi selected it dies earlier at:

gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -DPA_BIG_ENDIAN -Ipa_asio -I/host/mac
-I/usr/local/asiosdk2/common -Ipa_common  -DWORDS_BIGENDIAN=1
pa_common/pa_trace.c -o pa_common/pa_trace.o
make: *** No rule to make target `-g', needed by `lib/libportaudio.a'.  Stop.

Thanks, I haven't quite gotten used to coding in OSX (r.a. my C skills
still kinda suck and I have no clue on porting, I get my things to
work either on osx or linux/solaris and then forget about it), so help
would be greatly appreciated.