[Portaudio] StopStream problem

Andy Bridle andy at bridle.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 06:13:06 EST 2009

Hi Ross. Thanks for the response.

Re Problem 1: I thought I'd figured out what's happening, but so far my fixes haven't resolved it. On my system, with a built-in SigmaTel sound chip and an external SBLive card, all the DSound devices are showing a default low and high latency of 0.0 secs in their associated PaDeviceInfos. This is what I pass to the suggestedLatency param in the Pa_OpenStream() output PaStreamParameters. I thought that if I set the suggestedLatency to a non-zero value it might fix the problem, but it doesn't. I've tried to follow the code in pa_front.c and pa_win_ds.c to see if they're still using the zero latency from the PaDeviceInfo, but I'm struggling a bit. I note the following comment in pa_win_ds.c:

@todo implement initialisation of PaDeviceInfo default*Latency fields (currently set to 0.)

I will try and make a test case to reproduce the problem, but not sure when I'll get time. Meanwhile I may build my app with only MME support, as this seems to work fine and I'm not too worried about latency.

Problem 2 no longer a problem.

Thanks for the help.

Andy