[Portaudio] Multichannel cards?

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Sun Jul 18 08:45:48 EDT 2010

Hi Raymond

I'm about to buy a 32 channel RME HDSPe MADI system for a project I'm
working on. As far as I know this will work fine with PA/ASIO. If not I'll
need to fix it. I expect it to work though -- I've had RME stuff in the past
and it's allways worked fine, my brother runs an HDSP (non-MADI) in his
studio and it plays well with PortAudio. It's high quality gear, and not
cheap though. I need it for a turn key system that will run continuously so
I don't really want to mess around with cheaper prosumer stuff.

I'd expect the Apogee products someone else mentioned to be a good option
too. I'm going with RME because I've had good experiences in the past.

I considered MOTU, which I've also had good experience with in the past, but
most of the options max out at 24 or 32 channels and for my project I need
minimum of 32 channels.

I know there are other broadcast systems which can do up to 256 channels if
you need to go that far I can make some enquiries. I'm pretty sure there's
at least one AudioMulch (PortAudio) installation running that kind of
channel count.

Ross.