[Portaudio] Enumerating audio devices (cards and chipsets)

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Mon Mar 7 18:52:49 EST 2011

John,

Okay, I hadn't really understood that you're using JACK on top of PortAudo
(I didn't even realise there was a working version of JACK for Windows). If
I now understand correctly, things look like this:

Ardour -> JACK -> PortAudio

If that's the case, any problems you have are just as likely to exist in
JACK as in PortAudio and you should probably be talking to the JACK guys
about it. Any fixes are just as likely to be required in JACK as in PA.

As Stephane said, you should be building JACK from source to make sure
you're using the same version of PortAudio that we're talking about (ie
current trunk).

AudioMulch doesn't use JACK at all so in effect, you're telling us about
differences between JACK and PortAudio behavior.

I don't know how JACK works on Windows, but I imagine a lot of Windows users
would prefer their DAW talked direct to the ASIO driver rather than
introduced additional overhead with JACK. RME already have IAC capabilities
in their ASIO drivers for example.

Ross.