[Portaudio] Enumerating audio devices (cards and chipsets)

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 06:18:35 EST 2011

On 8 Mar 2011, at 09:52, Peter wrote:

> If JACK works flawlessly on Windows then JACK is quite good.

> But for a "Single App User" it only encapsulates Portaudio.
> From this point of view it would be better to use Portaudio directly
> because You don't depend on the version of Portaudio in JACK.

I don't think there's anything to be gained by trying to extract Jack from Ardour.  It's essential to the whole way that Ardour works, as others have pointed out.  Having said that, there's no reason why I couldn't upgrade Jack's Portaudio backend by building it from source.  I've had to build around 300 libraries from source already, so one more won't make too much difference!

Which compilers are currently supported for building Portaudio under Windows?  I have VC++ and Cygwin available to me at present.

John