[RTcmix-discuss] RTCMIX on the web

John Gibson johgibso at indiana.edu
Sat Jan 21 11:45:36 EST 2006

Hi Ram,

Probably the real barrier to doing what you suggest is that none
of us really has time to do it properly or at all.  It's a volunteer
effort, of course.  I'm not a big fan of wiki's, but perhaps that
would be useful somehow.  If you want to develop a site, I'm sure
Brad would link to it from somewhere on rtcmix.org.

I made a python program that provides one particular type of
abstraction layer that makes it easier to create looping scores.
I still haven't released this code because I wanted to update it
to 4.0, but haven't had the time lately.  Python is a great language
for doing this sort of thing, because its OOP features are easy
to handle.

You refer to pitch notation as one example.  We have several
different types of pitch notation -- octave.pc, linear octaves,
MIDI note numbers -- but nothing for note names ("C#3", etc.).
If you think this would be really useful, I would consider
adding this as an additional type of notation.  As with linear
octaves and MIDI note numbers, a note name description would have
to be converted into something that instruments understand,
generally either frequency (cps) or octave.pc, depending on
the instrument.

I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at with the Fourier
series point.  We do have a way to create tables for WAVETABLE
using text strings that describe common waveform types, such
as "sine" and "square," with a way to specify the number of
harmonics.  To make multiple pitches, most people would play
multiple WAVETABLE notes, rather than try to encode the pitches
into the waveform for a single note.

JG