- 2014-15 AUDITIONS for all lessons, ensembles, and performance offerings announced!
- Information on practice rooms and pianos for students and other Columbia affiliates.
- Information on basic music theory and ear training courses, placement exams, and policies, updated for 2014-15!
- Music Majors (CC/GS) considering pursuing Departmental Honors in your senior year should read this page!
- Don't forget to join our Facebook group and our Twitter feed to stay up to date on announcements.
The Music Minor at Barnard College
The Minor in Music, which must be undertaken while also doing a Major in another department (or a combined or special major), provides a student with the experience of doing sustained and advanced work within the field of music.
The Minor in Music can be elected at any time up to graduation; however, in practice a student should confer with the departmental consultant to plan her program well before the beginning of her senior year.
No prerequisites are specified for the Minor. However, all of the courses that the student will take carry their own prerequisites.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MINOR IN MUSIC
Students must choose courses from three categories:
aEUC/ four terms of Music Theory: see Music Theory Courses
aEUC/ four terms of Ear-training: see Music Theory Courses
aEUC/ two terms of Music History (i.e. V3123-V3126):
A A see Music History Courses
The individual courses to be taken are not specified.
Up to two of the courses taken for the Music Minor may count also toward the distribution requirement.
Courses in which a grade of D or lower has been received do not count toward the Minor requirement.